[Market-farming] greenhouse collapse

Ploughshare gjbrever at midwestinfo.net
Thu Dec 6 11:59:43 EST 2007

Our homeowner's policy excludes greenhouse structures. Nothing was growing
in it at the time.  It's been quite a number of years since we have had this
much snow come down in one night (10inches).  So I totally forgot about
getting out there, turning on the heat, brushing the snow off, etc.  Instead
I was enjoying the snow...snowshoeing at midnight.   I woke up to the
devastation the next morning.  One bright side is that the bottom posts (we
had it 4 feet up on L bars like Elliot coleman's movable structure) were not
bent  So we just have to replace the hoops, plastic and repair and make
changes to the ends which we can do before our March 1st traditional start
of growing the Ghouse.  I'm thinking that I will go with the gothic style so
that this won't happen again. Even though this will require extra costs in
changing the end walls.
--Gary