[Market-farming] Harlequin Bugs

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Tue Dec 4 13:50:58 EST 2007

I've been writing an article on these bastards for the last two
seasons. We've had plague proportions of them as well.

1st important point in controlling them is to make sure the water you
use in your sprays is pH neutral and is not 'hard.' Either variation
will reduce the effectiveness of your sprays.

High quality soaps, sprayed in the right water, can be very
effective. So is NEEM, in fact, this year, NEEM was much better than
the soap we used for control.

Most important, I think, is planting trap crops. I don't have the
recommended varieties on hand as I write this, but there are a couple
of inexpensive brassicas that are more attractive to harlequins than
any of the commercial cultivars are. You need to start them about 3
weeks before the crops you want to protect.

Did you know that harlequins communicate by tapping on plant stems?
That's one of the reasons you will find them on stressed plants but
not on healthy plants: stressed plants drum better!

Later -Allan
info at freshandlocalcsa.com