[Market-farming] Harlequin Bugs

Harriet Allen hattie_allen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 09:48:30 EST 2007

These nasty little brassica eaters were everywhere this year.  I live in Delaware (Zone 7) and I normally have some harlequin bugs, but this year was over the top...probably because of the unrelenting heat and drought.  We have had several frosts and I am still finding them.  Does anyone have ideas for me?  I do use organic controls.  I've tried neem oil, and even some Pyganic (that is as much as I'm willing to use poisons because I hate how my beneficials get knocked out).  It works somewhat, but they are tough.  Is my soil at fault too?  It is sandy loam and I've added green sand and rock phosphate, and need to do more compost at this point.  (I had to row cover everything to keep them marketable and don't grow much in the way of brassicas in mid-summer at all...But the fall plantings were attacked badly.)

Hattie's Garden
31341 Kendale Rd.
Lewes, DE 19958
  302-945-0350