[Market-farming] We got robbed at the market, don't let this happe n to you

Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm rootsfarm at marpin.dm
Fri Aug 31 11:33:20 EDT 2007

I am sorry for all you folks who have been robbed.  Hard enough to make
a living farming without such happenings, plus robbery tends to result
in a psychological/emotional burden not present with most other farming
calamities.

At market, we keep all bills in a good-sized waist pack (fanny pack)
that usually we just hold over shoulder.  Coins (including $1 coins as
there are no $1 bills in EC currency)  are kept in a shallow basket
(usually covered by a pack of extra plastic bags) at the back-middle of
our market table just behind our table top market sign.  When there are
more coins than we are likely to need for change, the surplus gets added
to the waist pack.  This is easy to reach for us (we're usually behind
the table) but hard to reach from front or sides of table where
customers (or thieves) may be. The system works well for us, efficient
and protective of the major portion of the day's income.

Along these lines, we make sure to keep visibly in our hands any bill we
are given that needs to be changed until change has been successfully
made to the customer.  That way, in the confusion of market, we can
double check that we are giving the correct change and the customer
cannot mistakenly claim to have given us a larger denomination.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm