[Market-farming] We got robbed at the market, don't let this happen to you

Errol Castens castens at nepower.coop
Thu Aug 30 23:27:25 EDT 2007

Paul,

Sorry for your loss. You've had more than your money stolen; the thieves
almost surely also stole some of your peace, too -- at least temporarily.
I've left money unattended, too, but always got by with it. Since taking a
bit of self-defense training, never again do I intend thus to tempt fate.

To everybody: My wife and I (and our market's main booth, where they sell
coffee, caps, aprons, etc.) use a cash box, but we've considered going to
a carpenter's apron so we never turn our backs on the cash. Anybody else
use 'em?

A lot of the information in quality self-defense courses is about avoiding
and preventing situations that may become a threat to people or property.
One thing emphasized over and over is to train oneself to ask, almost
automatically, "Who is around me, and what are they doing?" As Paul's
experience proves, that's not paranoia -- just caution.

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi
Zone 7 (theoretically)