[Market-farming] SSAWG annual conference

Wiediger, Alison alison.wiediger at hart.kyschools.us
Tue Aug 28 11:29:20 EDT 2007

Good morning all!

I know it is early to be thinking about farming conferences, but this
one is going to be so exciting!  The Southern Sustainable Agriculture
Working Group (http://www.ssawg.org <http://www.ssawg.org/> ) annual
conference is going to be in Louisville, KY again in 2008.  This
conference always has a large congregation of the best and brightest
minds in the Southern region - farmers, extension, university and
others.  Last year we had over 1000 in attendance.  That's a lot of
networking!!

It will be held at the Galt House which is a beautiful hotel with Ohio
River views, rooms and suites with high speed internet, a conservatory
connecting the two towers and plenty of meeting spaces and conversation
spaces.  It will be the third year the conference is held here, and we
hope the largest yet.

But, for the good stuff:

Practical Tools and Solutions for Sustaining Family Farms

January 16-19, 2008

Louisville, KY

Galt House Hotel and Suites

64 conference sessions, with a major emphasis on practical

8 short courses, including ones on high tunnels, flowers, organic
veggies, bees and more.

5 field trips going to farms that use high tunnels, organic practices,
permaculture, etc.

5 mini courses with hands-on activities like building chicken tractors
and setting up market displays

20 U-Pick Networking Sessions for learning from each other

Trade Show and Video Show

Taste of Kentucky Dinner

A conversation with Wendell Berry about why he and the rest of us in the
sustainable agriculture community have taken on this necessary work.

Keynote by Joel Salatin titled "Healing the Planet, One Plate at a Time"

Oh yes, and Paul and I will be teaching the short course on high
tunnels, and hosting a field trip to our farm.

So, we hope to see a lot of you in Louisville in January!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm