[Market-farming] Harvesting Dry Black-Eyed Peas

Sharon and Steve shopkins at tdstelme.net
Mon Aug 20 20:48:00 EDT 2007

Having worked out of Apache Junction I can testify that there is a world of
difference in drying things there and here!

BUT:

At this place we would pull the vines and get them to a sheltered place
before they got so dry that they theshed themselves on the way, yet dry
enough not to rot/mold.
Threshing was done on a cleaned bit of barn floor, placing a thick layer of
crop on the floor and using a flail to repeatedly thump the dickens out of
the vines to get the beans/peas out of the pods, next comes sifting out the
trash with forks and screens, and finally winnowing the small stuff out with
a winnowing machine or outside in a strong wind. (a fan will do the same ).
Old New England farmers would bring a bushel of beans to the table after
supper and all hands available would "pick over" the beans getting out the
last of the rocks and chaff, making them ready for the cooking pot or for
sale. I have no doubt that the same procedure was used for peas but I was
not there for that.

I think I would look at the store price of black eyed peas and harrow those
guys in, making a soil builder crop; if dry the seeds should sprout and make
good nitrogen real quick.

MAsteveINE