[Market-farming] NYTimes.com: Food That Travels Well

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Wed Aug 8 10:53:04 EDT 2007

On Wed,  8 Aug 2007 09:59:59 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>This page was sent to you by: nitag at ev1.net.
>
>This is from the NY Times and is thought provoking, to say the least. Nita Garcia

It's also pretty much irrelevant to reality, considering Peak Oil and
Global Warming.  Transporting goods (which can be produced most anywhere)
across the world has got to stop if the world is to remain inhabitable. The
world just cannot afford it any longer.

The writer is confused.  He's missing the essential point which is that
people must adapt their diet to what *can* be produced sustainably and
locally.

For example, if the Brits cannot grow lamb sustainably (although in reality
they can and they do), then they had better find something else to eat.

If sweet potatoes cannot be grown sustainably in my local area, then I'd
better grow and eat winter squash instead.  If oranges won't grow here, I'd
better learn to get my Vitamin C from something that can be grown here,
such as cabbage or rose hips.

Incidentally, a friend of mine wrote an excellent article about this.  It's
here:  http://casaubonsbook.blogspot.com/2007/08/eat-local-real-local.html

Pat
--
http://www.entire-of-itself.blogspot.com/
In Pennsylvania's Northern Tier, northeastern USA.

'Be the change that you want to see in the world'
Mohandas Gandhi