[Market-farming] harvest rates

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Wed Aug 1 13:52:12 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:46:41AM -0500, JOHN A HENDRICKSON wrote:
> Does anyone on this list have records or an idea of
> how many pounds a worker can pick per hour for the
> following crops:
>
> beans

I'm picking longbeans right now.  About 8-10 pounds per hour.

> peas
> broccoli
> asparagus

I don't think we ever pick asparagus faster than about 10 pounds an
hour.  And it gets a lot slower.  We give up when it gets down to about
1 pound an hour.

> peppers

Peak production of big bells: 3-6 bushels an hour.  Big jalapenos at
peak production: .5-1 bushel an hour.  Jalapenos weight about 35 lb/bu.
Don't know about bells.

> and pints/quarts per hour for:
>
> strawberries
> raspberries

At peak production, we pick blackberries at about 3 gallons per hour.
We give up at about 1/2 gallon per hour.

Okra?  About 20 pounds per hour.  If you can keep at it for a whole
hour.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  58 days 13 hours 05 minutes