[Market-farming] Green Garlic

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun Apr 29 10:56:05 EDT 2007

On Apr 28, 2007, at 7:10 PM, Allan Balliett wrote:

>> For a bunch of 6 or 7 smallish stalks, we get $1.50 at farmers markets
>> and $.75 from grocery stores.  Not organic.  It is laborious to clean
>> up
>> and it doesn't sell well dirty.
>
> So, essentially you sell a sprouted head of garlic for $1.50. That
> seems SO VERY  CHEAP, especially if you are buying seed garlic.
>
> My damned stalks around about 3/4 of an inch thick, have a white tip
> that's almost 5 inches long and are a couple of feet long. They are
> more like leeks than scallions.

Long before mine get that big they get tough. A bunch of mine, taken
while they're still tender, is about the size of a bunch of young green
onions. I wonder if it's a climate difference, a variety difference, or
something else, if yours are still tender at that size? Or are the
leaves tough, and you're selling them primarily for the stem?

I don't buy the seed garlic for these (or, usually, for any of my
garlic). I usually have some garlic around that starts to sprout and
becomes unsalable (often it was undersized or damaged bulbs that
wouldn't have sold for much anyway). That's what I plant for garlic
greens. I spring plant them, but then I don't start going to market
till early June; if you start marketing them much earlier than that,
you might want to fall plant some and spring plant some. If I plant
them the first week of May, they're ready when I want them. This seems
to be a spring-only crop; they're day-length sensitive, and get tough
even when tiny once the days start to shorten instead of lengthen.

Last year I actually only got a dollar a bunch for them; but last year
was the first year they sold any significant amout, in this market. As
people get used to the idea I should be able to raise the price (it
sounds as though I should raise it this year); and they help fill up
the stand, early when I don't have much else. But this is in any case
not a high priced market (cheaper to live around here, though).

I clean them by just peeling off the outer layer (which at that age
often includes the remains of the planted clove).