[Market-farming] Green Garlic

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sun Apr 29 10:12:04 EDT 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 07:10:47PM -0400, Allan Balliett wrote:
> >For a bunch of 6 or 7 smallish stalks, we get $1.50 at farmers markets
> >and $.75 from grocery stores.  Not organic.  It is laborious to clean up
> >and it doesn't sell well dirty.
>
> So, essentially you sell a sprouted head of garlic for $1.50. That
> seems SO VERY  CHEAP, especially if you are buying seed garlic.

Hey!  Thanks for the pricing advice!  I thought you were the one asking
for pricing information.  What do you THINK I should get?

My green garlic is about the size of a finger, maybe up the thumb size.
6 or 7 make a bunch that is about 1 1/4" diameter.

My seed is Chinese garlic from SAMs, about $4 for 3 lb as I recall.
Seems to be "California Early" or similar.  I put it in the ground
about 6 inches apart, and then in 30-45 days I have a crop to sell.  We
do this all during our winter from maybe October through about
February.

> My damned stalks around about 3/4 of an inch thick, have a white tip
> that's almost 5 inches long and are a couple of feet long. They are
> more like leeks than scallions.

That sounds like Elephant garlic; my green garlic is close to the size
of scallions.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  406 days 15 hours 56 minutes