[Market-farming] Green Garlic

Willie McKemie mf at austinfarm.org
Sat Apr 28 14:38:04 EDT 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 10:03:17AM -0400, Allan Balliett wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> Can someone help me with pricing green garlic for market? Maybe I've
> got the wrong term here. What I have is large stalks of garlic tht
> look like scallions. I'm wondering how they s.b. priced for market.
> If left alone, of course, each would turn into a bulb, but I could
> use the diversity at the early market.

For a bunch of 6 or 7 smallish stalks, we get $1.50 at farmers markets
and $.75 from grocery stores.  Not organic.  It is laborious to clean up
and it doesn't sell well dirty.

Our "green garlic" season is about over, but as long as the stalk is in
good condition, we sell it even with noticeable bulbs.

We only started doing garlic a couple of years ago and I am surprised
at the popularity of green garlic.  It adds to our variety when pickins
are slim.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime  405 days 20 hours 28 minutes