[Market-farming] I'm doing OK

Glen Eco Farm glenecofarm at planetcomm.net
Thu Apr 26 23:24:29 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists at rhomestead.com>
To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:57 PM
Subject: [Market-farming] Marlin

> Marlin - Good to hear from you. How are you doing?

I am commuting daily from a rented house about a mile and a half from the
farm to do chores and to work the fields.  No action has started yet on
rebuilding the house since demolition several weeks ago.  There is still a
lot of mess to clean up and some things that need repairing.  Looking at the
dumpster full of metal junk and the bare slab that was my house every day
gets pretty depressing.

We have a greenhouse full of plants and some stuff planted and growing
outside.  I'm selling some stuff at our farmers' market.  Its not all that
much but at least it is something.  Our CSA distribution season starts in
about three weeks.  Sometime in that time interval I need to finish building
the packing shed and get an 8 x 10' walk in refrigerator moved and
installed.  My proudest accomplishment so far is the 72' x 10' high tunnel
that I finally got skinned this week and presently have full of lettuce
which I plan to start marketing this coming Saturday.  I borrowed an idea
from the Haygrove folks and combined it with a refined version of my own for
holding down the plastic in the wind and still allowing side ventilation
without roll up pipes and cranks.  Let's hope it works!  I guess I'll find
out the next time we get 2-3 days of 50-60 mph winds.  I plan to go ahead
and put up another 100' one by next week.  If I can find the time I would
like to take some pictures and put them on my blog.

I have nearly 300 tomato plants about a foot tall and rearing to get out
into some real soil.  Some of them will go into the 72' high tunnel as the
lettuce comes out.  The rest will go into the 100 footer and wherever else I
can fit them in.  Meanwhile I keep dreaming of red tomatos in mid June

Working hard to keep looking up while things are still down
Marlin from Va