[Market-farming] Corn Mazes

Brigette Leach avalonfarmshomegrown at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 23 20:18:32 EDT 2007

Pam,
Although I don't know where you are located, I will share a tidbit
pertaining to problems with corn mazes and other agri-tainment
enterprises in my area. Many of the headaches I've heard about revolve
around zoning issues. Maybe you have local officials who are easy to
work with?!? So before investing any more, my advice would be to check
to see if what you're planning will be allowed. There might also be
issues with restrooms and food service if you are including it. It would
be a shame to get everything ready and then not be allowed to execute
your plan. Have you checked on liability insurance and any restrictions
coverage might bring forth?

Also, a while back I remember an article in /Growing for Market/,
addressing the issue of fire safety in corn mazes. I sort of gave myself
40 lashes with the ol' wet noodle after I read the article, since my
husband is the township fire chief and still I had never considered the
fire issue.

Good luck,
Brigette Leach
Avalon Farms Homegrown