[Market-farming] Belgium Endive

no one xkarmafarmerx at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 09:41:43 EDT 2007

I'd like to start by saying the poultry information recently given was very useful for me.  The farm I'm managing would like to raise animals starting next season, and I wouldn't know where to look to find real life information about such otherwise.
I was wondering if anyone has grown belgium endive before?  I understand that you grow a root - witloof endive - and then force them in the dark to produce a chicon, but have no experience growing, forcing, or selling them.  Are there requirements / restrictions for the environment used to force them, and do the chicons store well, or would I have to keep a continuous amount in various stages of "sprouting"?  Thanks for any suggestions
John DiZazzo
Roundabout Farm /
Compassionate Roots
Keswick, VA