[Market-farming] pastured poultry

roxann roxann at ancientearthwisdom.com
Fri Apr 20 13:05:13 EDT 2007

Now I have a different question. Maybe this isn't the right list because it seems to be only gardening questions lately, but I would like to explore the possibility of growing out broilers for local buyers. Does everyone process their own chickens on-site, or are there processors that will do small batches for a farmer? I'm thinking I will not want to do more than 500 birds at a time. Also, what kinds of regulations are involved with raising that quantity of chickens on a 10-20 acre pasture? There won't be the typical chicken houses like the Tyson growers use.

Roxann