[Market-farming] "By Reservation" Farmer's Market

Andrea Restle-Lay andrearestlelay at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 12:50:13 EDT 2007

We have been trying to create a farmer's market in our neighborhood using a pre-ordering method, where residents order what they want directly from the farmers, to be picked up during a two hour period, same time and place in the neighborhood square (or in our case, shopping center parking lot). Customers order and make payment arrangements directly with the farmer via phone or email. Newsletters go out over neighborhood email lists every few weeks or so to solicit the orders - everyone here in Raleigh, NC uses email!

The CSA farmers come every week, some specialty farmers come every two weeks, or even once a month and only stay for two hours. We try to make it as efficient for the farmers as possible, so they only bring what they need to, and don't have to set up extensive displays.

We just aren't big enough to have our own "real" farmer's market, so we are trying this instead. I'll let you know how it goes, but any ideas would be welcome. The newsletters are a bear to write, actually, but that's the only real overhead I have to worry about.

Andrea
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RaleighCSA

http://mail.yahoo.com