[Market-farming] rural markets

roxann roxann at ancientearthwisdom.com
Tue Apr 17 12:42:37 EDT 2007

Has anyone had any experience with farmer's markets in very rural locations? our town is very small, pop. ~ 400-500, but we're also pretty isolated. our town square is dying, as the businesses are closing and our wonderful old buildings are lying unused. the old mercantile store shut down recently and the owner is open to working with me to establish a market there. the town is a tourist rest-stop, crossroads in the middle of nowhere and lots of bikers pass through on saturdays. there is one general store with a bathroom and necessities, and a grill, still open but she is flailing, too, and i don't know how much longer she can hold out. something like a farmer's market to bring the people to the square more often would likely help the few remaining businesses. the locals seem to enjoy coming out of the hills and woods for even the smallest things, so i am thinking this might be something that might help.

roxann, kingston, ar
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com