[Market-farming] hard freeze

Coylie Ries sassyniowa at iowatelecom.net
Thu Apr 5 14:03:39 EDT 2007

Several years ago, we had hard freezes here in May!  Way to late for
that sort of thing.  One of the grocery store greenhouse ladies spent
the night in the hoop house covered only in shade cloth and continually
sprayed the hoop house and plants with water all through the night to
build up a layer of ice.  It worked wonders through a very, very hard
freeze when many other parking lot hoop houses lost everything.  The
point she made also was not to stop spraying until the sun comes up.
Not before other wise the plants could still freeze.
Hope this helps,
Sassy