[Market-farming] Drip Tape was Fall sales slump

TxBeeFarmer TxBeeFarmer at HotPop.com
Thu Sep 21 08:54:11 EDT 2006

Row crop drip tape is buried around 14 inches deep for cotton, but the depth
depends on what you're planting and how deep you plan to till the ground.
It's put into the ground using a chisel or curved shank with a tube welded
on the back side.  The drip tape goes down the tube and will feed from a
roll as you pull the shank down the row - you don't need to dig trenches
except at the end of the turn row where the distribution manifold goes.  Use
multiple shanks and multiple rolls of tape to make it go faster.  You can
mount the rolls on the tool bar, or pull a trailer if you wish.  As far as
lasting, if nothing chews it up or you don't run into it with a plow, I'd
guess 20 - 30 years.  Of course, you'll need to pump acid through it every
once in a while to keep the holes clear, just like you do when it's on top
of the ground.  You should also note that the moisture from buried drip tape
probably won't be enough to germinate seeds.  You'll need to water to get
your crop, or time your planting to a rain.

Hope this helps.

TxBeeFarmer
West Texas Zone 7b