[Market-farming] Fall sales slump

Lynn Wigglesworth lynnw1366 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 18:19:20 EDT 2006

From: <cjmaness at juno.com>

> I guess I was hoping for the "magic" crop. That someone would write and
> say, "oh haven't you tried ---------? It survives heat, drought, and
> customers just can't get enough of it!

I don't know what area you are in, but have you tried kale? I put some
Blue Scotch Curly in last spring and made a Spring Salad Mix of lettuce,
baby kale (picked individual leaves), and other greens. It was very
popular. As the plants got bigger, I sold larger leaves for steaming (or
whatever). The kale moped through the hot weather, but now is back in it's
full glory. I didn't water it once it was established, but we didn't have
much in the way of drought.

It's very pretty, and people buy it!! (Hint...that spun poly insect cover
is a blessing!). I was so impressed that I planted another bed of  kale
(Red Russian and an interesting 'wild kale mix') that I hope to take
(along with the Blue Scotch Curly) through the winter (one of our farmers'
market vendors has a winter meat CSA and said I could offer bagged kale to
his cutomers).

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA