[Market-farming] Political or Religious groups at Market

Patrick Mulkey Mulkey at tunl.duke.edu
Mon Sep 18 14:36:50 EDT 2006

We faced the same problem here at the Carrboro Farmers Market. We had a
policy of no person or groups walking or setting up tables to peddle their
opinions. Which was setup back when we were on private property. We are now
on public property. This also included folks who wanted to give away kittens
and puppies. The Town pressured us to change but we compromised and there is
a side walk coming into our market where anyone can setup a table(s) and
push their opinions. We call the area free speech zone but we do not
advertise it. The market manager direct those groups to that spot when they
arrive. I have noticed folks putting flyers on cars but we consider that
outside the market area. There are customers who wear shirts and buttons as
they shop and candidates who will walk around the market from time to time
but we restrict campaigning. Vendors may and do display material but that is
a personal decision. Hope this helps.

Patrick Mulkey
Chapel Hill, NC