[Market-farming] winter temp hoophouses

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Sat Sep 16 21:40:51 EDT 2006

I want to erect "temporary" field houses this fall to keep greens going
through December. We usually don't have heavy snows until spring.

Has anyone heard Eliot Coleman recently to know if he has changed his winter
hoophouse design from that in his Winter Harvest Manual?

Or do others have ways that work?

I have 20 foot pieces of PVC and new sheets of greenhouse plastic. I was
going to not do the rebar inner support and take the plastic off in December
or January. Haven't figured out the end attachments/walls yet. For summer, I
know someone who just gathers the end plastic together and knots it. He
enters by lifting up the plastic on the side. In the Winter Harvest Manual
Coleman buries the sides of his plastic and enters via a slanted end
structure with door.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY