[Market-farming] Market-farming GAP/spinach

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat Sep 16 20:55:57 EDT 2006

OK, I take back the comment about the audit trail. Since then, I've
seen reports to the effect that a) some of the trouble identifying the
source was because some of the ill people, while they remembered eating
bagged spinach, didn't remember what brand it was or where they bought
it (a problem no audit trail will fix, at least unless the audit trail
recordkeeping is also inflicted on the final customer, who is unlikely
to put up with this, or so I hope); and also that b) at least some of
the infected spinach was organic.

If the problem was indeed caused by use of fresh manure on a greens
crop for human consumption, they're in violation of the organic
standards, which prohibit this, and should be decertified immediately
(though don't hold your breath on the USDA permitting the certifying
agency to decertify any operation of that size, for any reason).
However, as near as I can tell, those blaming manure use are leaping to
confusions (yes, that's the word I meant). I don't know whether the
source of the pathogen is actually known yet. I heard this morning at
market (from a reliable person, though I forgot to ask for the cite as
to where she saw it) that the problem had been traced to one packing
house, and that both organic and conventional spinach bagged there was
implicated. This, if so, might well imply that in addition to their
other problems the facility may not have been properly segregating the
organic and conventional packing lines; but I suppose they might have a
systemic problem with, for example, their wash water. Another poster on
this list suggests that the problem may be from polluted floodwaters in
the Salinas Valley; if it's that, I would presume that more than one
packing operation will wind up being connected with the operation; at
least unless all the Salinas spinach in industrial distribution all
goes through one plant.

Twenty or thirty people must have said to me this morning at market,
"Too bad you don't have any spinach to sell"!