[Market-farming] Market-farming GAP

Steve Diver steved at ncat.org
Fri Sep 15 19:32:01 EDT 2006

GAP training is being offered to fruit and vegetable
growers thru conferences and university programs.

It's been around and gaining increased attention.

But the only "requirement" for some kind of GAP
certification that I've heard of so far is the USDA
procurement program.... which again... normally
involves wholesale packers proving veggies on
specified contracts.  

Likewise, apple cider producers are required to
implement a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point
(HACCP) food safety plan by FDA.

Fyi, the bottomline with GAP is food safety and
liability protection for growers. Basically you ensure
that every point of the production, harvest, packing,
and delivery cycle is clean and safe from microbial
contamination, etc. 

Topics include wash water, handling of animal manures
on the farm, sanitation and hygiene for workers, packing
facility sanitation, poop-dropping rodents and birds, etc.

A few resource pointers are listed below. 

Steve Diver



National GAPsNet
-- Good Agricultural Practices Network for Education and Training
-- Cornell University


Guide to Minimize Microbial Food Safety Hazards for Fresh
Fruits and Vegetables

Compiled by:
..U.S. Food and Drug Administration
..U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
..U.S. Department of Agriculture
..Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
October 26, 1998


The Guide at a Glance (HTML)


Foodborne Pathogenic Microorganisms and Natural Toxins Handbook
i.e., The "Bad Bug Book"
by U.S. Food and Drug Administration


More information about the Market-farming mailing list