[Market-farming] Harlequin Bugs

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Thu Sep 14 10:59:59 EDT 2006

>  One way to avoid having brassicas exposed is to use rowcover for
>a while. There's no easy organic answer.

Here's the killer: harlequins are as prone to WALK as they are to
fly. If they walk, your row cover has to fit so tightly that you
won't really be able to easily manage your crop under the cover. My
assumption is that my tunnel would then become, yes, a sanctuary for
harelquins. (We've witnessed the harlequins walking in mass from one
bed to another several times.)

KNOCK ON WOOD, Pam, but I have found the natural cure for harlequins
and hope to talk about it in a future issue of ACRES USA. There are
some real lessons in farm-based research in our experiences this
season, most of them very humorous.

Later