[Market-farming] off farm compost, cow or chicken?

Sean Albiston lab at physics.umn.edu
Thu Sep 14 10:53:49 EDT 2006

Anyone have suggestions on which product would be preferable for organic
container mixes?  The chicken compost is done in a closed vessel, the
cow compost is windrows on pavement.  The chicken is $3.60 more per yard
and a bit further away.   I've used the chicken manure previously with
good success; no viable seeds, fairly decent consistency.  I'm leaning
towards going chicken again out of fears that the open windrowed compost
could have more viable seeds in the mix.

http://www.rwdairy.com/index.html
http://www.mississippitopsoils.com/index.htm

thanks, sean albiston