[Market-farming] Harlequin Bugs

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Thu Sep 14 10:40:46 EDT 2006

Allan - Harlequin bugs are a real menace aren't they? I don't think there are
any predatory or parasitic insects that attack them. Richard Mcdonald, the
farmscaping expert, says the way to deal with this pest is to make an annual
break in brassica crops. I was just discussing this with Ken Bezilla
yesterday, asking about his experience using this method in Missouri. He
said they had no brassica crops for a period in the summer (not sure how
long) and it did reduce the population for the remainder of that year.
Unfortunately the Harlequin bugs moved to the horseradish (ah, it is a
brassica) and some flowers (Cleome?) and did not disappear off the face of
the earth. One way to avoid having brassicas exposed is to use rowcover for
a while. There's no easy organic answer.
	Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA. Zone 7.