[Market-farming] Pint clamshells

Robin Follette marketgardener at thymeforewe.com
Wed Sep 13 05:36:31 EDT 2006

>>>Has anyone tried out the clamshells made from corn? I use cellophane bags
>>>that are compostable for most of our market items, but there are some
>>>vegetables/fruits that would display better in the clamshell. I wish I
>>>could just forget the packaging, but it's amazing how much better even
>>>tomatoes sell, if they are in a package of some kind.
Below is the website and description for the clamshells I've been
considering.

I haven't tried them on my farm but I've used them when buying mushrooms.  I
visited an organic mushroom farm where these are used.  The clamshells look
just like clear plastic.  Andrew said he couldn't find a way to get away
from packaging.  This works well for them.  They're compostable.  I didn't
find any trace of them in my compost pile.

Robin Follette
Farm & Garden  www.farm-garden.com
Maine Nature News  www.mainenature.org