[Market-farming] New member

Bill Bradshaw billbradshaw at hughes.net
Sat Sep 9 10:19:56 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Willie McKemie" <mf at austinfarm.org>
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 5:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New member

>> Right now we are struggling through the drought, and the critters that
>> keep chewing up our drip lines. We can't turn the drip on without walking
>> every single line looking for holes. If anyone has any suggestions for
>> deterring these water starved creatures I would sure appreciate it!
>
> If your line chewers are rabbits or rodents, you can give them water as
> Bill suggests.  I have used bowls, such as dog water bowls, set into
> the ground at the ends of drip tape runs.  If you use auto drain
> valves, they will supply enough water to the bowls.  If not, you can
> install an emitter for each bowl.  That's not a cure, but it will
> probably help.
>
> I've gotten stories from all over central Texas of wells going dry.  I
> look forward to next year's complaints of too much water.

Willie, it has been super dry here also. Our farm pond is almost dry and it
holds 14 acre feet of water. And no rain is site. We usually harvest until
frost but have had nothing to harvest for last few weeks, so it is over
here.
Also saw some new critters working over the drip tape yesterday. Crows
Bill