[Market-farming] Push-handle basket weeders

William B. Evans wbe at ra.msstate.edu
Fri Sep 1 17:53:48 EDT 2006

Steve,

         This won't be much help but I just got back from Bolivia where I
took a photo of two women pulling a plow through a soon-to-be-planted
potato field, with a third woman steering the plow and "team".  You asked
for human powered implements!  In fairness, nearly all other fields I saw
were prepped by Massey-Ferguson tractors, with subsequent maintenance
tillage mostly done by pushing sweeps or forked cultivators through the
middles.

Ohio State's Muck Crops Branch in Celeryville, Ohio has some old rolling
blade cultivators (like a reel mower with straight blades) that work on the
histosols except when road gravel gets in.  The blade wheel binds up when
it hits any gravel or rocks.  Great for rock free, organic rich soils only,
blades about a foot wide.

Bill

At 10:20 AM 9/1/2006, you wrote:
>One year I visited an elderly woman in Kansas who
>lived in the country and was proud of her vegetable
>garden and the canned vegetables she put up.
>
>She had a single-handle push basket weeder that
>also had tines on side.  So you can flip the weeder
>over and dig thru the soil with tines or flip it over
>the other way and just push the basket weeders
>to stir the soil between rows.   It was about 10 or 12
>inches wide so it would fit between row crops.
>
>I saw this on a garden tools web site a couple years
>ago so it might be available, only I don't know recall
>which website.  (I'll pass it along if I see it again)
>
>In general, are you familiar with sources of hand-pushed
>basket weeders of any kind?
>
>Another source I'm wondering about is a star-weeder that
>can be widened or shortened with a gang of stars, to again
>stir the soil between crops.
>
>In fact, I'll be glad to hear any other suggestions for
>human-powered market farming tools, including
>your favorite wheel hoes and attachments.
>
>Much appreciated,
>
>Steve Diver
>http://www.attra.ncat.org

Dr. William B. Evans, Research Coordinator, Assist. Res. Prof.
Mississippi Truck Crops Branch Experiment Station
P.O. Box 231
2024 Experiment Station Rd.
Crystal Springs, MS 39059
601-892-3731 x 11 phone   601-892-2056 fax
2006 Fall Flower and Garden Fest Oct.  20-21,  2006
MAKE YOURS MISSISSIPPI PRODUCE!