[Market-farming] NAIS

Brigette Leach avalonfarmshomegrown at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 31 16:47:26 EST 2006

Andy,
Thanks for the link. I appreciate knowing what others are saying
publicly. I do have a different view, however, largely because in
Michigan we have spent several years now dealing with the bovine
tuberculosis problem, and I am well aware of what that disease outbreak
has cost not only farmers of all sizes but taxpayers as well. The size
of an operation has nothing to do with a disease outbreak like hoof and
mouth or avian flu. And if an outbreak occurs, all producers will be
impacted, as will all consumers. Even those who don't eat meat. Michigan
taxpayers as well as producers have footed the bill for helping to bring
the TB problem under control. Taxpayers would also help to foot the bill
for any other large scale disease outbreak. People tend to ignore the
number of by-products that come from animal agriculture...products that
we use on a daily basis without giving it a second thought.  The
incident like the manure pie takes place when the reactionaries have run
out of valid arguments to make and can find no other means to communicate.

We all wanted trace back when the recent e-coli outbreak occurred. Why
resist a method of trace back on animal products so vehemently?
Consumers want to be reassured that food products are safe and if I can
help assure that my products are safe, isn't that to my benefit. I don't
buy the argument that the program will put family farmers out of
business, either. It's singing the same old sad song, poor pitiful me.
If one can't meet regulations designed to protect our food supply, then
perhaps one should find another occupation.

Brigette
Avalon Farms Homegrown