[Market-farming] Garlic Mulch

pam at twinoaks.org pam at twinoaks.org
Thu Oct 19 15:13:29 EDT 2006

	We mulch with big bale spoiled hay. I reckon we're zone 7. We plant
the first week of November now (used to plant the third week of October, but
what with global warming....). Our first frost averages Oct 14. We plant
Hardneck and Polish White softneck. To deal with the possiblity of mulch
being too thick, when it looks like at least 50% of the crop has emerged, we
walk through and help out any trapped shoots. Then we leave it alone all
winter. Oh maybe we water if it's dry. Overhead, as we haven't yet got
enough drip irrigation for everything.
	In the spring we weed, and water as needed, until early-mid May,
expecting it to need 2-3 more weeks to mature. So we stop watering and
(unless it's a drought), we remove the mulch. We have the (also mulched)
spring broccoli conveniently planted next door, so we weed the broccoli,
then use the garlic mulch to top up the broccoli patch. Our garlic matures in
the first week of June, most years.
	I like the idea of shredding corn stalks for mulch. How are they
shredded?
	Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA