[Market-farming] Garlic Muclhing

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Wed Oct 18 15:33:38 EDT 2006

I should say that our 'traditional mulch' of about 4inches of straw
just plain out stops weeds until the garlic is harvested. Although
advised to not leave the mulch on, I always do and have never had
problems I attribute to mulch EXCEPT in thos situations where people
have seriously overwatered the garlic. (my garlic) I can attest to
the fact, also, that we can raise a crop of garlic without ever
irrigating, but I usually feel compelled to irrigate when the weatehr
is very dry. The problem happens if I leave the drip on and the
mulched garlic gets watered as regularly as the greens do...