[Market-farming] Mulching garlic

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Wed Oct 18 10:01:05 EDT 2006

>I did the tests over the same concerns of expensive straw you are
>exhibiting.  If you can handle big bales of mulch hay, you likely could
>get rounds of straw cheaper than $5/50lb especially with the cheaper gas
>available?

Thanks, Sean. I live in an area where there are literally ACRES of
ag-tax-deferred land with rotting big hay bales on it and very little
grain/straw grown. Yes, if I could find big bales of oat straw, I'd
drive a few miles for it! Thanks for your insights. You know, I've
really never mulched too heavily (although we do mulch deeply) but,
yes, I have been afraid that I have mulched too heavily. -Allan