[Market-farming] garlic rotation

Jerry and Marienne kreitlow at cmgate.com
Wed Oct 18 00:30:21 EDT 2006

I don't know that there's a bad place in rotation for garlic as long
as the soil is nitrogen rich, drains well, and isn't too sandy.  I've
read that one shouldn't plant it where there is any indication of
fusarium, but I've never seen it on our farm, so I can't say.  For
the same reason, I've heard it recommended not to follow grass family
crops, which are prone to fusarium.   But, many garlic growers,
including me, mulch with grasses like oat straw (I use chopped
cornstalks).

I suppose intensely planted garlic will deplete nitrogen, but
probably nothing that some manure/compost won't remedy.

I've only been growing garlic four years now (1/4 - 1/3 acre), and
haven't planted it in the same place twice - and probably won't for
the foreseeable future.

Our planting, too, has been hampered by wet conditions, and time is
getting short up here.  Praying for dry!

Jerry Ford
Howard Lake, MN
zone 3/4