[Market-farming] garlic rotation

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Tue Oct 17 08:44:02 EDT 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 10:15 PM, Elaine Granata wrote:

> Folks: I'm getting ready to put in garlic and need help knowing where
> garlic
> fits in crop rotation.  Does anyone know what crop it should follow?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Elaine
> Denver, Zone 5

I like to have mine follow the strawberries when possible, because the
straw mulch used in the strawberries helps lighten up my heavy ground
for it. (The garlic itself also gets straw mulch over the winter.)

This year it needs to go in a field dry enough to work up, though. At
least, it *was* dry enough to work up; now it's raining again. I got
the ground about ready, but didn't have time to get it planted before
the wet returned. Sure hope there's another dry patch coming; they've
been rare around here this year.  -- wish I could send this rain to
those of you with drought!