[Market-farming] basil

Pat Meadows pat at meadows.pair.com
Sun Oct 1 08:16:47 EDT 2006

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:51:22 -0400, you wrote:

>Interesting. I've never had mine do this until it hits 32º, at which
>point it turns black. I've usually had basil keep producing for some
>time after one or more nights in the low 40's, if it warms up again
>afterwards; though weather that cold does definitely slow it down.
>
>-- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 5 mostly (where it hasn't frosted, yet;
>and I don't think it will, quite, tonight either. I hope.)
>Fresh-market organic produce, small scale

But basil in your area (and mine) *needs* to be tough!  :)

We have nights in the 40s all through summer, with occasional nights in the
high 30s.  I understand that - very very rarely - we even have frosts in
July and August, although this has not happened in the five years we've
lived here.

We've had two frosts so far.

Pat - in northern Pennsylvania's chilly mountains that the USDA - in a rare
moment of playfulness - assigned to Zone 5, although it should be Zone 4.