[Market-farming] hay as a mulch

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Thu Nov 30 19:31:49 EST 2006

On Nov 30, 2006, at 10:45 AM, Sam White wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Does hay cause problems for you as a mulch?  What
> about weeds from the hay?  Or do you keep mulching
> year after year?

Don't use hay. Use straw. And weeds are exactly why.

I did once get a load of straw which had a lot of matured seed in it;
next spring there was spelt coming up all over the garlic patch. (It
was spelt if I remember right, anyway; certainly one of the small
grains.) My first thought was "oh no where did all that grass come
from? this is terrible!" but when I realized it was grain it wasn't
nearly so bad; the young grain pulled out very easily, and had
apparently helped suppress germination of other weeds; I had very
little weed trouble that year after pulling out the grain.