[Market-farming] mid-week slump

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Wed Nov 29 20:22:55 EST 2006

We have an excellent Wednesday morning market in Lake Placid, NY. Lake
Placid is a summer second-home area, and the thought is that people are too
busy hiking/boating/entertaining guests on Saturdays, plus with special
events (Ironman, horse show, etc), traffic is a hassle, and it needed to be
a weekday market. We are producer only. We limit nonfarm vendors to less
than 50% of the vendors. Among farm vendors we have wine, wildcrafted
mushrooms, herbal soap, as well as produce, cheese, meat and eggs. The
cheese, bread, and meat/eggs are big draws to the market.

We have two large (2 stall) veg vendors, mine was 1 1/2 stalls, a smaller
two stall produce and plants person, and a flowers/dried arrangements/veggie
one stall person. I noticed after Labor Day when the smaller veggie people
dropped out that my sales increased. The last four markets were between
$1000 and just over $1300/day for me. Based on that, although I want all the
produce vendors to succeed, I think if we had one less those there would do
better and I would gear up to provide more. The market manager agrees we
don't need more veggie vendors. We also have outstanding baked goods,
organic vegetarian ready-to-eat  vendor, a paninni vendor, a hand carved
bowl vendor, and handmade furniture vendor, and other "crafts".This was our
third year and during the height of the season we had between 20 and 30
vendors (I was too busy to count, but it was lots more than previous years).
This was our third year. Our website is http://lakeplacidmarket.com.

The meat folks drive over two hours to come. The winery is over 3 hours away
and has hired a local chef/mushroom gatherer to do their stall. One veggie
vendor drives two hours. It is an hour fdrive or me. Our prepared food
vendor is now driving 2 1/2 hours to a Saturday market, which should have
lots of folks much closer doing good food, but apparently not. In other
words, extend your search for strategic vendors outward, but I assume
Allison with your contacts you have done that quite well.

We are planning to move inside to either Wednesday late afternoon or
Saturday morning next fall, going til Thanksgiving or Christmas. We are
changing the time to attract more locals who work "regular" hours. If we can
hook them in the fall, maybe they will make the effort to come down at lunch
during the summer. We were extremely pleased with the local support this
fall (we went until Columbus Day). There were fewer people, but those who
came bought a lot. And, no, Lake Placid is not all rich folks. Many second
home owners are teachers, etc who have had the home in the family for many
years. And I have low income and "working class" (waitresses, house
painters, etc) customers.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY