[Market-farming] Chickweed, Scale Certification

Adriana adriana at chefsgreens.com
Tue Nov 28 15:03:47 EST 2006

Re:  Chickweed
Bill,
I just checked my edible plant bible "Cornucopia, A Source Book of Edible
Plants" and here is what it says about chickweed:

"Stellaria Media - Chickweed.  The tender, juicy leaves and stems are added
tossed green salads and sandwiches, or they can be boiled and eaten like
spinach.  Natural foods enthusiasts liquify chickweed along with other
assorted greens, to make what they call 'green drink'.  Indians used the
tiny seeds for bread or to thicken soup.  Young seedlings can be cut with
scissors and left to regrow.  Flowering tops are used as a vegetable or
garnish.  Northern temperate region. "  They list seed sources, but my book
is a 1990 edition, so they could be obsolete.

> Just to be sure we're talking about the same thing, isn't chickweed the
> same
> thing as Creeping Charlie? It's a member of the mint family (square stem
> cross-section) and inhabits many lawns as a difficult weed.

Re: Scales

Here in Alabama the certification process takes about 5-10 minutes.  The guy
puts different weights on the scale and makes sure it reads the correct
amount.  Costs $30.

The main advantage of NOT using a scale is speeding up checkout.  If you are
concerned about fairness to the customers pre-bag and pre-weigh our items.

> I don't know what the deal is with the scales. I know that out of 32
> vendors, NO ONE sells by the pound. When I worked for the research
> station we had those scales certified every year. It was an all day
> process. The guys would clean them up and re calibrate.

Adriana