[Market-farming] increasing mid-week market sales

Wiediger, Alison alison.wiediger at hart.kyschools.us
Tue Nov 28 12:21:57 EST 2006

Good morning everyone!

During the winter months (off-sales time for most - unless they have
high tunnels!), our Farmers' Market Board meets several times to plan
the coming season.  In the three seasons our producer-only market has
been in existence, we have enjoyed great growth - beyond our dreams.
However, our mid-week (we are open Saturday and Tuesday mornings) sales
just are not as good as we'd like.  Because of the lack of crowd, many
of our farmers who come a long distance decide it's not worth the drive.
We know a lot of it has to do with work schedules, and even tried a late
afternoon market - and that was even worse!  If anyone has a "tried and
true" strategy for increasing customer traffic at a mid-week market,
we'd love to hear it!  Keep in mind we don't have a market manager - the
farmers basically run the market as volunteers and time in the summer is
at a premium!

 Secondly, we are always looking for ways to recruit new vendors and
would welcome ideas about recruitment.

Finally, here's our market website - still under construction, but
getting there!   http://www.skyfarmersmarket.com
<http://www.skyfarmersmarket.com/>

Thanks!!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm