[Market-farming] Bats for cucumber beetles

John Hendrickson jhendric at wisc.edu
Tue Nov 28 11:16:59 EST 2006

Well, isn't that astonishingly good news!  Those numbers seem to suggest
that cucumber beetles are a preferred (or at least abundant) food source
for the big brown bat.  I will admit that I was skeptical about whether
bats eat cucumber beetles when this topic came up on market-farming.  I
guess this means the cucumber beetles are active and flying at night.  I
have bats in my barn (don't know what species) but had a really bad
infestation of cucumber beetles last year.  When they fly out of the barn
at dusk they always seem to be headed down towards the nearby river.  I
don't know if they stay down there to feed or are just going down for a
drink before feeding throughout the area.  How large an area does a bat
colony typically use for feeding?

-John

John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1535 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI  53706
608-265-3704