[Market-farming] cucumbers

Christine & Marlin glenecofarm at planetcomm.net
Sun Nov 19 22:33:34 EST 2006

Roy Brubaker of Mifflintown, PA told the story of how a newspaper article
came out about his bat houses and the bats at his farm.  Upon reading the
article, a neighbor lady phoned Roy and complained, "I don't like to have
bats around."

Roy asked her, "Have you seen mosquitoes around recently?"  "Have you been
bothered with cucumber beetles?"

After the lady stopped and thought about answering those questions with,
"No" she seemed to calm down.  Roy's land borders a creek/river and those
pests had been a problem.

We have used PVC pipe bent in small hoops and covered with row cover over
eggplants.  These hoops are less than 36" high in the center.

Christine Burkholder

  _____