[Market-farming] Garlic in straw bales?

Adriana adriana at chefsgreens.com
Mon Nov 13 17:02:44 EST 2006

I'm not a garlic grower but I wonder if this would not work for small scale
operations.  Lay stray bales, cut side up on the ground, over the beds where
you would normally plant your garlic.  Insert the cloves into the straw.
Wet the bales well, then cover them with plastic mulch to protect them from
additional rain over the next couple of weeks.  This way you do not have to
work the soil at all and eventually the roots will make it through the bale
and into the soil.  The plastic will offer some temperature protection as
well.  As the bale breaks down it will enrich the beds for next year.

For an article on straw bale culture go to
http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/strawbales.htm

It's possible that you need only a couple of inches of depth to accomplish
the same thing, in which case I would consider breaking the bale into 2-3"
deep squares.  Lay one square on the ground put your cloves on top and then
cover with an additional square.  It would certainly make a bale of straw go
much farther.  If you had planned to mulch the beds then you are ahead of
the game.

Adriana Gutierrez