[Market-farming] garlic (PS)

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun Nov 12 22:37:36 EST 2006

On Nov 12, 2006, at 10:29 PM, road's end farm wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2006, at 6:07 PM, Tradingpost wrote:
>
>> So here's a question for those more experienced with garlic. Does it
>> need
>> to sprout above ground before serious winter sets in? I got mine in
>> the
>> ground in Sept but we've had several freezes and no sign of green yet.
>
> It's better if it doesn't sprout above ground before freeze up. In my
> climate, at least, any above ground growth will just die back over the
> winter anyway. The plants should start over in the spring, so all is
> not lost if you put them in too early and they do come up this fall;
> but the energy that went into the fall greens will be lost, and I
> think you'd get smaller bulbs if they have to put energy into coming
> up twice.

Forgot to add: the greens are pretty hardy, they'll come up long before
last frost date in the spring and that's OK, they have no problem with
our ordinary (or even moderately extraordinary) March and April
weather. But the single-digits and/or occasional below-zeros
(Fahrenheit) of midwinter are too much for the above ground growth. I
don't know just where the cutoff point is.