[Market-farming] garlic

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun Nov 12 22:29:07 EST 2006

On Nov 12, 2006, at 6:07 PM, Tradingpost wrote:

> So here's a question for those more experienced with garlic. Does it
> need
> to sprout above ground before serious winter sets in? I got mine in the
> ground in Sept but we've had several freezes and no sign of green yet.

It's better if it doesn't sprout above ground before freeze up. In my
climate, at least, any above ground growth will just die back over the
winter anyway. The plants should start over in the spring, so all is
not lost if you put them in too early and they do come up this fall;
but the energy that went into the fall greens will be lost, and I think
you'd get smaller bulbs if they have to put energy into coming up
twice.