[Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 46, Issue 1/NAIS

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sat Nov 4 09:42:07 EST 2006

On Nov 3, 2006, at 11:02 PM, Brigette Leach wrote:

>  Rivka,
>  How does record keeping as it pertains to organic standards provide
> trace back?  I'm talking about situations other than when you might
> have sold directly at the market. Of course those individuals know, or
> they assume they know, where and how that product was grown.

Exact details will vary from operation to operation, and to some extent
according to certifying agency. The principles are the same: everything
bought from you needs to be traceable back to the field in which it was
grown.

I don't do livestock; I do fresh market vegetable and fruit crops. I
keep records of every input to a given field (seed sources, transplant
sources, soil amendment sources, dates and rates of applications and
planting, etc.); of planting plans, so I can show what was planted in a
given field; of harvest records; of sales records.

In the case of farmers' market sales, I note what I took to market and
what came back unsold, so that I have records to show, for example,
whether I sold snap peas at that market; how much of that crop I sold;
and what field(s) they were harvested from, on what date. The final
customer, as you say, is in that case buying direct from me. There is
no practical way to confirm the customer's memory of whether they
bought those peas from me or from someone else; at least unless I had
no peas at market on that date, or far fewer than the customer says
they bought; which I would have records to show.

In the case of sales to a food coop or other wholesale sales, I keep a
copy of invoices. The purchaser also keeps invoices. The invoices
include my address, and also the name of my organic certifying agency
and my certification number. Procedures for identifying the product
within the store undoubtedly vary from store to store, but the store is
also supposed to have records that let them identify from which
source(s) the organically grown peas on their shelves on a given date
came from. When I sold through a wholesaling cooperative, we coded each
case with a date and farm identification code, so that the case could
be traced back to the specific grower.

I believe that livestock are generally identified by ear tags, except
poultry by flock; but I don't raise livestock and don't know what forms
of ID are acceptable. I'm sure that if you want to spend the money to
identify your livestock with GPS tags you could do so. But as long as
you can identify them clearly, there's no need to pay for such systems;
unless the individual farmer sees a need on her/his specific operation.

How is this different from NAIS? In several ways. One obvious one is
that it's voluntary, more or less; though now required if you want to
use the word "organic" and to sell over $5000 yearly. Certainly it
would not apply to anyone growing only for their own use, or to
livestock kept as pets or transportation.

Another major difference is that there is considerable leeway as to how
you keep the records. Organic farms are inspected at least yearly; the
inspector checks that you are keeping records, and that the inspector
can make sense of them. But you can keep them in your computer, in a
notebook written in by hand, on preprinted forms, or whatever; and in
any format that does make sense. NOFA-NY, at least, only cares that
they'll work: that if there is a problem traceback will be possible.
(Some certifiers may have set forms and specific requirements as to how
to deal with them. I've gotten certification statements for straw I
purchased, certified through OCIA, that had been sent by the grower to
the certification agency, who then sent copies of them to me. But most
growers have several agencies active in their area to choose from; so
you can choose a certifier based partly on whether their record keeping
requirements fit your operation. OCIA I believe certifies mostly large
wholesaling field crop operations; NOFA is more likely to certify
highly diversified direct-marketing small farms.)

And another significant factor is that most of these records are kept
by the farmer. They are checked by the private inspecting agency. They
don't go to the federal government, to be kept on record who knows how
long in what fashion, unless this becomes necessary to resolve an
actual problem (in which case, of course, they could and would be
supplied to whatever department of health or other agency actually
needed to deal with them.)

This is an awful lot of record keeping; and it is often a royal
nuisance (especially that list of amounts of everything that went to
and came back from market, done in a rush while packing for market and
in a state of exhaustion on return). But I have found that the records
required are very useful to me in doing the next year's planning; which
has pretty much reconciled me to them. My memory as to whether purple
beans sold better than yellow wax, for instance, turned out to be
unreliable; but the written record was there to inform me. Clear input
records are also highly useful; I can easily tell what I actually did,
and check this against results.

>  Do you have examples of the inequitable treatment and enforcement
> against smaller operations while exceptions are made for larger
> enterprises?

I gave several in an earlier email on this subject.

NAIS as proposed would be another one: small producers would be
required to tag every animal, large producers would not be.