[Market-farming] NAIS or making an omlette with rotten eggs

Allan Balliett aballiett at frontiernet.net
Fri Nov 3 06:05:28 EST 2006

I doubt this represents the light at the end of the tunnel for
livestock people, but I spend a lot of time in Washington,
residential Washington. I happened to run into a fellow who is an
employee of the company that is behind the NAIS chips. He let me know
that after I started on a tirade about NAIS. This fellow is high up
in the company and totally delighted by how large the potential
market is for the chip and also by all the industries that already
use it. (He told me the Walmart story, how they track a product
around the store once you put it into your cart. While I have no idea
of how this information is deeper than just watching sales receipts,
WalMart apparently enjoys knowing what you looked at as well as what
you bought.) He implied that his company is backing down from NAIS
because of controversy (not an easy sale) but will get the
mega-market they are looking for when accepting a chip becomes one of
the requirements in immigrant worker programs. I guess most
importantly, all applications were morally equal to this man, he was
just joyful that the government and corporations would find so many
uses for a passively powered spy chip.   -Allan