[Market-farming] NAIS or making an omlette with rotten eggs

Brigette Leach avalonfarmshomegrown at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 2 23:15:05 EST 2006

Know what Leigh, I do read the papers, although I have always questioned
what is in print and what is on the Internet even more. Having been
interviewed a great deal, misquoted more than once, and involved in
events that I didn't recognize after the news media got done with them,
I know that what is published can be inaccurate, manipulated, misguided,
etc. And I study issues, and I am open minded enough to know that there
is always more than one point of view to any issue. And I have worked as
a volunteer advocate for agriculture for more than 30 years. I have also
made my living from production agriculture for more than 30 years. I
know producers of every size, those utilizing every practice, and
raising virtually every commodity, except maybe hops. I have spent many
hours discussing issues with people of all persuasions and positions.
I've spent a great deal of time at our state capitol. But in all the
time I've spent in Washington DC I must have missed out on everything
that goes on. Do you spend a great deal of time there?

In one of the earlier messages, some one made comment about the "big
guys" having time to go to DC. The reality of it is that they don't
_have_ the time, rather they _make_ the time. It is clear that many of
you on the list feel strongly about the issue. How many of you have
actually communicated your position in a credible manner to the "crooks"
in DC? Sounding off on the list is one thing, making your case to
decision makers is quite a different matter. Doing so requires accepting
some level of responsibility for your position. You know that old saying
about the world being run by those who show up?

My earlier comments relate to livestock diseases. If you are implying
that I'm the one living in an alternative universe.
Brigette